Sunday, June 26, 2005

Grade Grubbers...

Right now many students around the globe are logging on to check their grade for the first short term of the summer (called Spring at BYU-H). I am immune to bad grades this time thankfully. Even if I wasn't, I don't think I'd care as much as I used to anyway.

About a year ago I still had my bright and shiny 4.0. Ever since I slipped off of that slope my concern has ebbed away. I still have a respectable 3.89, but my GPA is not a high priority any more. It made me think about motivation.

What is our motivation for good grades? Many people say that it is because we want to get good jobs. I don't think that's enough. When I lost my 4.0 a friend asked me,

"What do you call a doctor who got C's in college? Doctor."

It makes sense. In job interviews they ask about your degrees and experience, not your grade point average.

Other people say they don't want to let their family down. Many people at BYU-H are international students on scholarships and families at home pay a good part of the education. But again, passing with a B- is not going to get you through school faster or cheaper than an A.

That is, unless you need your GPA to get you scholarships. That is one valid motivation. High GPAs get more scholarships. But I have been passed by for scholarships many times due to my ethnicity and because I did not show enough of an financial need. So, really, it's not the best or most sustaining motivation.

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced of my new theory. Most people, including myself, are really motivated by one thing, pride. If you keep analyzing people's reasons for wanting good grades eventually you will scrape enough off the surface off to see pride as the core issue. I guess it was for me.

Once I lost my 4.0, I could not boast about it any more. Since I had been compelled to be humble about my grades I just gave up. Sad, but I think admitting this helps.

Am I missing some motivations? Am I wrong? Do you claim to be driven by something more noble? What keeps you grade grubbing?

3 Comments:

At 6/27/2005 09:02:00 PM,

in high school it was my mom prioritizing for me. work first, then play. and if doing the work leaves you without time to play, tough. but i hit college and i just...lack any motivation of any kind. i can get by without really studying (a curse and a blessing) so that's what i've been doing. however...i've guilted myself into knowing i can do better and so i'm taking a break so i won't burn out.

ok, so that was random beyond belief. it's also 1:01 am and while not truly tired i am lacking my usual spunk :) 

Posted by angel

 
At 7/01/2005 04:29:00 AM,

While a good gpa may not land you a job it does open doors. Masters, doctoral, and advanced training beyond a bachelors are becoming necessary to getting good jobs these days. Good grades really help when you are applying to grad school. But Jared is right, C's get you through just as fast.  

Posted by rusch

 
At 11/20/2005 09:08:00 PM,

Some companies told me they wouldn't even interview me without a certain GPA. Also, grad school is another good point.

However, the work from an A to a B isn't worth the effort when you could have so much fun with the time you spent getting an A. 

Posted by crashutah

 

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home