Thursday, January 20, 2005

Life Beyond College

There comes a time in the life of the college graduate when they come to the realization that the dream job they thought would be getting right out of college is still somewhere beyond the horizon, and that money is needed now. I have come to this conclusion and will start working next week at the, gasp, glass plant.

In a way this is a good thing. I need the exercise and do not have the motivation to get out and run or really do anything else. Being up and moving for twelve hours a day has been enough in the past to shed pounds quick and improve my overall physical condition.

It’s sad. In high school I once had the goal of being ripped, and worked for a couple years to achieve that goal. Running, and weights were a big part of life then. My diet was the same then as it is now. But it is amazing that when you are working out almost everyday, it does not matter what you eat, because it all is metabolized to build muscle. Now the only thing that gets bigger is the size of my pants.

I blame it all on college. College is a double edged sword because people are much more accepting of others. You can be a jock, or a “Bluto Blutarski” (John Belushi’s character in animal house) and still meet girls and even get a girlfriend. I also found that there were other things that I found interesting, such as reading, staying up late, and taking naps. What added to the to my plight was the fact that the cafeteria was an “all you can eat buffet” where there was always something good to eat and plenty of it.

Well, you can guess what happened next. I gained weight and became the tons of fun that I am today. But in a few months, I should be down about forty pounds or so which will be nice.

So that is it from here. Look forward for a review of “Hooking Up” by Tom Wolf.

Peace out

0 Comments:

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home