Saturday, November 27, 2004

Story of my life

wrote this in high school, but it seemed to fit my current state of mind.

Discord

I can see why you feel that way, my friend
I do not agree
But I can see why you feel the way you do.

I did not ask to look into her eyes
I did not ask to fall
But one could sooner come to the Garden of Eden
Just to sit upon its wall


The stars shudder in half-hearted dissonance
Clinging to the cloudy sky like memories to an old photograph
Crowding together in shrouded constellations
Trying to keep warm.

The stars found her eyes
The wind found her hair
I found a place by her side
And the three of us stayed there
Until time tore us apart.

I have seen their eyes
People with smiling lips
But in their eyes they are screaming
For something
If you look into their eyes they are screaming.

The light from the streetlamp was like the moon
It touched her face ever so softly
Just as I had so often longed to.


Concerning constellations, and consequences
Everyone all around me
Is so quick to misunderstand

I had dreams, and she was there
And the night was not so dark
The stars were not so cold.

Here is my song of confusion
and my song of love
It’s all the same song
It’s all the same life
A life so full of aching stars
And brown-eyed girls
And trees that point to God
I would not dare have it any other way…

5 Comments:

At 11/28/2004 03:04:00 PM,

Good poem. I usually don't like poetry so that is saying something. well i will see ya round 

Posted by E

 
At 11/30/2004 10:54:00 AM,

Lovely poem, very deep, I really enjoyed it and it made me ponder and think, that's my idea of good poetry. But my question is whose the girl? And how can the past tense girl poem apply to present tense girl. Judging by the imagery I'm guessing it is not rainbow bright. 

Posted by Becky (formerly known as a BYUH student)

 
At 11/30/2004 04:32:00 PM,

let me suggest T.s. Elliot's J. Alfred Prufrock, Ezra Pound's ABC collection, e.e. cumming's chimneys and tullips, robert lowell, charles bauldeaire, ginsberg, and especially Dream Songs by Berryman. please read dream songs.  

Posted by Anonymous

 
At 12/01/2004 12:54:00 PM,

Thanks, Anonymous!! Prufrock is already a favorite of mine, but the others are promising. I have already found some of Berryman's dream songs and they're great.  

Posted by Shem

 
At 12/01/2004 12:59:00 PM,

I already loved cummings, but hadn't read this before, and it's awesome. Anonymous, I will be forever greatful.

it may not always be so;and i say
by: e.e. cummings

it may not always be so;and i say
that if your lips,which i have loved,should touch
another's,and your dear strong fingers clutch
his heart,as mine in time not fara away;
if on another's face your sweet hair lay
in such a silence as i know,or such
great writhing words as,uttering overmuch,
stand helplessly before the spirit at bay;

if this should be,i say if this should be--
you of my heart,send me a little word;
that i may go unto him,and take his hands,
saying,Accept all happiness from me.
Then shall i turn my face,and hear one bird
sing terribly afar in the lost lands.

From "Tulips and Chimneys", 1923
 

Posted by Shem

 

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home