Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Can't Be Satisfied...

Why, oh why, do they feel it necessary to put the Christmas Tree for this year off to the side once again? I know this is just a nit-picky item, but it matters to me.

Last year they started construction about the same time and so they did put a one year hiatus from the tradition of placing the fond Christmas symbol in the center of the little circle. I understood that, but why now? The circle construction is mostly over (did anyone notice that much of a difference on the circle itself anyway?) and I think it'd be worth a few cones in the view to have it in the right place.

Has anyone still living in Laie been here for a Christmas where the tree was in the right place? It is beautiful and makes you feel twice as privileged to be here. Just at the sight of it at night with all the lights on brings in the spirit of the season. On the side it seems to be hidden, and it gets lost in the wake of the surrounding palm trees that are actually taller than the pine.

I know I'm over reacting to this, but my life is so bland that these little things keep me breathing.

Viva La Christo treeo Centro!


(Sorry, I don't speak Spanish)

8 Comments:

At 11/23/2004 09:45:00 PM,

When Jolley suggested moving on to talking about Christmas trees, I didn't think anyone would take her seriously... 

Posted by Faye

 
At 11/23/2004 11:22:00 PM,

Jared, I agree with you. I've been here once for the blessed lighting of the Christmas tree in the little circle, and I miss it. Really, I miss many things about the Christmas season here in Laie, but I've learned, sadly enough, to deal. 

Posted by Amanda

 
At 11/24/2004 01:02:00 PM,

I bet it looked really nice. In New Zealand the temple does christmas lights it is amazing. But i think what is more amazing is that the temple just totally outshines all the lights. see ya all later  

Posted by E

 
At 11/24/2004 11:17:00 PM,

"Viva el arbol de Navidad del Jesu Christo en la plaza!!!!!" is closer to what you are looking for. 

Posted by Anonymous

 
At 11/26/2004 12:54:00 PM,

Wow, Anon, touche (correct my french next?). You know your stuff. Mahalo Nui Loa. 

Posted by Jared

 
At 11/27/2004 02:11:00 PM,

While I'm sure that a centralized tree would be spectacular, I kinda like the fact that they're using a live tree. The center tree will shed needles, and eventually just die and get mulched, whereas the off-to-the-side tree will be there all year round. I think that's cool.
And there's always the Marzipan-pumpkin view: "I didn't want to kill mine, so I just left it on the vine." Then she wrote a song about it.
http://homestarrunner.com/halloween2002.html
So save a Christmas tree from an untimely death, support the off-center one!  

Posted by Shem, avenger of fallen trees

 
At 11/29/2004 07:54:00 PM,

I don't think that they keep the tree up all year 'round. I think it's a new one put up each year. I might be wrong. 

Posted by Jared

 
At 11/30/2004 08:44:00 AM,

Little known fact, or maybe well known, but still really funny. The whole Christmas lighting ceremony that they put on every year where at the end they show on a screen in the CAC the lights on the Christmas tree and all around campus light up, it's a fraud. The lighting of tree and campus is pre-filmed and cut all nice so that people in the CAC will go Ooohh and Ahhh as the camera shows all angles of the lights lighting up. I just think it degrades the whole ceremony to know that the lighting is a fraud. Oh and I'm upset about the christmas tree to the side to, except I'm not there to see it so I'm not that upset.
 

Posted by Becky (formerly known as a BYUH student)

 

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home