Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Spooky

Every Thursday night the Sci Fi Network airs “Ghost Hunters”. A show where a team of professional paranormal investigators goes to different places and investigates phenomenon of a supposed paranormal nature.

They meet with people that are not too different from people that we know and also folks that creep me out more then the thought of dead people in my room while I sleep.

I do believe in the paranormal to a degree. As pretty devout Latter-day Saint, I believe in a spirit world and a life after this, along with the host of heaven cast down for their rebellion in the pre-mortal life. But I wonder to what extent the “other” world intrudes upon our own.

Living in Hawaii I heard many superstitions and legends that are held by the locals. Some that came to mind were the Night marchers along with how you should never take pork over the Pali highway at night.

I had an experience in the house that I used to live that I attribute to sleep deprivation and too much pizza, cokes, and television before going to sleep.

So does anyone have any stories to share? Anything tales that make the hairs on the back of you neck to stand up? If so, I would like to hear them.

9 Comments:

At 7/26/2005 11:42:00 PM,

Hello!?! ...ECHO...Echo..echo..


guess nobody's home...shrug 

Posted by SU!rpr!se =)

 
At 7/29/2005 10:44:00 AM,

Well, ghost stories are things that are intriguing. I respect the thin veil between this mortal world and the spirit world for many reasons including a personal experience I had almost a year ago. One that I forget about more often than not. 

Posted by Mandie

 
At 8/25/2005 12:04:00 AM,

From what I've gathered in Latter-day Saint theology, combined with opinions, experiences and conclusions of my own, ghosts exist. Most are exaggerated, imagined, or just hoaxes, but some are real. However, in spooky "haunting" situations, they are probably not the lingering souls of people who have died. They are most likely to be Satan's followers, who have never had a body. Although I often disagree with him, Elder McConkie backs me up on this in Mormon Doctrine.
So why all the ghosties? Fear is not a positive emotion. In many ways it's the opposite of faith. and I imagine the devil is very fond of feeding off superstitions to make us believe that dead people's spirits would be doomed to wander and torment the living. I think he also likes the gross feeling that accompanies ghost movies or even talking about the subject too much. Esentially it's glorifying his power to make us unhappy. But think about it... would God allow dead people to creep out the living? Is that part of the plan? I think usually real encounters with spirits of the deceased are much more positive and well... spiritual.  

Posted by Shem

 
At 8/27/2005 09:59:00 AM,

I think it's funny that people are scared of ghosts because they don't have a body and they can't do anything to you. Laugh at them. It's fun. 

Posted by nobody

 
At 8/30/2005 11:00:00 AM,

Be careful what you laugh at, in many cultures ghosts are very real, and they allow them way more power than they should have. But I think I'm going to back up Shem, he has some awesome points that I agree with. 

Posted by Erika

 
At 9/01/2005 04:25:00 PM,

Just because a group of people believe in ghosts don't make them real. And also I said that they are real but that you have a body + they don't = you win. It's in the scriptures. Check it! 

Posted by nobody

 
At 9/28/2005 10:19:00 AM,

I officially declare this site to be in a state of Post-Mortem. It was a nice site while it lasted. Thanks for the strange and sometimes interesting conversation. I'm sorry for our loss. 

Posted by nobody

 
At 10/10/2005 04:52:00 PM,

Hi, your blog has some interesting topics in it. I also have one that pretty much talks about classified ad script related stuff. You should take a look at it sometime.

 
At 11/28/2005 11:39:00 PM,

Wow, the ad fairy has been hard at work here. This is my first time here, I had no idea this existed. Well, actually the paper gave me a pretty good idea about all this, but I've never checked it out. Good stuff, minus the ads. At least they could make them convincing. By the way, though "ghosts" can't kill you, they can sure do some creepy stuff. Read some of the stuff from the early church, such as Heber C. Kimball's journal. Even though they don't have a body, for some reason that doesn't rule out all physical elements. And yeah, the more you believe, the more power they have, which is why you see more of it in 3rd world countries. But Shem is right, any experience you would have with an actual dead person will be a positive one. 

Posted by Chris

 

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home